And the winners are…!!
This fall we invited Washington State University students across the state to tell their own stories about why they love WSU and how donor support touches their lives through the Why WSU? Student Video Contest. The winning entry comes to us from Rhoddy Jensen, a freshman from Bellevue studying communication. In addition to a terrific cash award, it was featured in the WSU Foundation’s National Philanthropy Day message on Nov. 15th to all of our generous donors and volunteers during the past year.
Congratulations to each of the winners of this year’s competition and thank you to all of the entrants who took the time to tell us WHY WSU?
Check out the winning videos below or watch all of the entries on the WSU Foundation’s YouTube channel.
First Prize – Rhoddy Jensen
Second Prize – Amna Khan
Third Prize – Tihani Cadiam-Moore
People’s Choice – Joshua An
About the Contest!
The Washington State University Foundation wants your videos! Grab your cell phone, or video or digital camera, then gather your friends to make a video showing us why you love WSU and how donor support benefits you and your fellow Cougs. Winners will receive cash awards!
Win Real Cash Money!
1st Place: $1,000
2nd Place: $800
3rd Place: $500
People’s Choice Award: $200
Making the Video:
Use your cell phone, video or digital camera to create your video based on the theme: Why I love WSU and how donor support benefits me/us!
Note: The WSU Foundation’s mission is to provide resources that help WSU thrive. To that end, special consideration will be given to video entries recognizing elements of your WSU experience enhanced by private support. For more information about how philanthropy helps the University flourish, explore the WSU Foundation website.
All entries must:
- Be no longer than 60 seconds.
- Be “G” or “PG” rated. Any videos containing language or material deemed inappropriate for families and Cougs of all ages, or material disparaging in any way toward the University, its faculty, students, and alumni, will be ineligible.
- Feature original content and have no copyright violations (clips, dialog, characters, music, images, etc.). If music is used in the video, it must be original, royalty-free, or you must have written permission from all copyright owners to use both the composition and the recording in your video. Use of copyrighted music without written permission is not permitted. To find royalty-free music, search the internet for “royalty-free music” or “free music”.
- Give your video a title, being sure to include the phrase “Why WSU?” before inserting your own unique phrase for the video title. For example, “Why WSU? Go Cougs: More than Just a Motto!”
- Be created by current WSU students. WSU students from all campuses/locations are encouraged to participate! Videos can be produced by an individual or a team of up to 10 people. Prizes are awarded per video, not by team member. One entry per person only.
- Be submitted by the deadline (Friday, October 21, 2016). Both the application and the video posting must meet the deadline. No late submissions will be considered.
Deadlines and Such:
All videos must be submitted by 5:00 p.m., Oct 21, 2016.
Voting for the People’s Choice Award will begin at noon on Monday, October 24, 2016 and end at 5 p.m. on Friday, November 4, 2016. Judges will announce the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners, as well as the People’s Choice winner, the week of November 7, 2016 via Facebook and Twitter.
Judging the Videos
Every eligible contest video entry will be added to a WSU Foundation YouTube playlist at noon on Monday, October 24, 2016 for the People’s Choice Award voting. A judging committee will select the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners by November 4, 2016. The WSU Foundation will feature the 1st Place video in an HTML email to all WSU donors in celebration of National Philanthropy Day on Tuesday, November 15.
The People’s Choice Award will be based on the number of YouTube “likes” the video receives beginning at noon on October 24, 2016 and ending at 5:00 p.m., November 4, 2016. Feel free to use all social media channels to promote your video to boost your chances of winning the People’s Choice Award.
Contact Cindy Hollenbeck at email@example.com with any questions.