And the winners are…
The 2017 Why WSU? Student Video Competition gave us 29 amazing entries representing every WSU campus (Pullman, Spokane, Vancouver, Tri-Cities, Everett, and Global). The quality of all the videos was tremendous, making the selection of this year’s winners particularly difficult for our panel of judges. But after giving each video a careful review, three videos stood tall from the rest. And our People’s Choice winner ran away as the clear fan favorite with 465 “likes”!!
On behalf of the WSU Foundation, WSU’s donors, alumni and friends, thank you to all the Cougs who took the time to create a video entry and to everyone who took part in voting for their favorite ones.
Without further ado, the 2017 Why WSU? Student Video Competition winning entries are:
1st Place – $1,000 Cash Prize
WHY WSU? To Be Yourself – Alex Denzinger
2nd Place – $800 Cash Prize
WHY WSU? Home – Jake Sirianni
3rd Place – $500 Cash Prize
WHY WSU? Family – Jason Halcomb
People’s Choice – $200 Cash Prize
WHY WSU? A Place Full of Love and Friendliness – Wei Ching Liao
About the Contest!
The Washington State University Foundation wants your videos! Grab your cell phone, or video or digital camera, then gather your friends to make a video showing us why you love WSU and how donor support benefits you and your fellow Cougs everyday. Winners will receive cash awards!
Win Real Cash Money!
1st Place: $1,000
2nd Place: $800
3rd Place: $500
People’s Choice: $200
Making the Video:
Use your cell phone, video or digital camera to create your video based on the theme: Why I love WSU AND how donor support benefits me/us!
Note: The WSU Foundation’s mission is to provide resources that help WSU thrive. To that end, special consideration will be given to video entries recognizing elements of your WSU experience enhanced by private support. For more information about how philanthropy helps the University flourish, explore the WSU Foundation website.
Videos must meet the following criteria:
- No longer than 60 seconds.
- Must be “G-” or “PG-” rated.
- Any videos containing language or material deemed inappropriate for families and Cougs of all ages, or material compromising WSU’s reputation, faculty, students, and alumni, in any way will be disqualified.
- Feature original content and no copyright violations (clips, dialog, characters, music, images, and so on).
- If music is used in the video, it must be original, royalty-free, or the team must have written permission from all copyright owners to use both the composition and the recording.
- To find royalty-free music, search the internet for “royalty-free music” or “free music.”
- Include your own unique title using the phrase “Why WSU?” as the prefix: for example, “Why WSU? Go Cougs: More than Just a Motto.”
- Created by current WSU students (undergraduate, graduate or professional).
- WSU students from all campuses/locations are encouraged to participate.
- Feel free to include professors and/or instructors as well.
- Produced by an individual or a team of up to ten (10) people.
- Prizes are awarded per video, not per team member.
- One video entry per team.
- ENTRY NOW CLOSED: Complete this entry form and submit your video file no later than 5 p.m., Friday, Oct. 20, 2017. Completed entry form and uploading of the video must meet the deadline. No late submissions will be considered.
Videos will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Originality—How well does the video stand out?
- Diversity—Does the video represent people from all walks of life?
- Engagement—Does the video generate excitement about WSU?
- Quality—How good is the production? Sound quality? Editing? Smooth transitions?
- Message—Does the video convey WSU experience and the importance of donor support?
- Resonance—Does the video offer a “take away” for its audiences?
Deadlines and Such!
All videos must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. PT, Friday, Oct 20, 2017. Entry and video submission form is now CLOSED.
Voting for the People’s Choice Award will begin at noon on Monday, October 23, 2017 and end at 5 p.m. on Friday, November 3, 2017. Judges will announce the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners, as well as the People’s Choice winner, the week of November 6, 2017 via Facebook and Twitter.
Determining the winners!
Every eligible contest video entry will be added to a WSU Foundation YouTube playlist at noon on Monday, October 23, 2017 for the People’s Choice Award voting. A judging committee will select the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners by November 3, 2017. The WSU Foundation will feature the 1st Place video in an HTML email to all WSU donors in celebration of National Philanthropy Day on Wednesday, November 15.
The People’s Choice Award will be based on the number of YouTube “likes” the video receives beginning at noon on October 23, 2017 and ending at 5:00 p.m., November 3, 2017. Feel free to use all social media channels to promote your video to boost your chances of winning the People’s Choice Award.
Contact Cindy Hollenbeck at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.