A young woman with big dreams, May 2013 graduate Lisa Heard knows that facing challenges is all about finding the right inspiration. Thanks to receiving the Edythe Miller Boucher Endowed Scholarship in Business her junior and senior years, she learned about (and has taken inspiration from) another WSU alumna—a 1934 business graduate known for her verve. Following graduation, Lisa moved to New York City where she is working in the ad sales division for TIME Magazine.

Lisa Heard
Lisa graduated in May 2013 with a bachelor’s degree in business administration.

Inspiration crosses generations…

I was so excited when I got Edythe’s scholarship. I kept a photo of her on the wall in my bedroom for inspiration. I admire her—she was fearless. After graduating this past May, I drew inspiration from Edythe’s characteristic boldness and moved to NYC to start chasing my dream of one day working for a Fortune 500 Company. It’s a little scary, but I’m going for it! I was fortunate to land a job with TIME Magazine and I’m loving it!

Edythe Miller Boucher graduated from then-WSC with a bachelor’s degree in business administration.

My scholarship…

Introduced me to this amazing woman (and fellow WSU alumna) who I otherwise would never have known about. She went to school during the Great Depression and as one of nine kids had to work very hard and take time off in order to get through. Her scholarship is so meaningful because now future WSU students will have financial support. I can’t wait until I’m in a position to give back.

I chose my major because…

My parents both work in business and my mom, who works for MSNBC, is my business hero. I love the challenge of collaborating with enthusiastic people to develop innovative solutions to business problems. I love sales. I love people. Majoring in business was a no-brainer for me.

Lisa credits her mother, Nancy Heard, with inspiring her to pursue a career in business.

Three things unique about me…

1. In third grade, I joined the Math Club and was the only girl.
  2. Bill Gates was at my dance recital when I was nine years old.
  3. I got to go onstage and sing with the Crimson Company (WSU’s former show choir group) when I was five.