The impact of scholarships should never be underestimated. For Jacob Brandvold, scholarships enabled a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that helped him discover how his passion for animals could give a bigger purpose to his life.

Jacob knew he wanted to be a veterinarian since he was a young child. In his youth, he worked toward that dream by reading books and articles about animals and seeking opportunities to work with veterinarians.

“My passion for animals continues to grow, and what I learned about the demands and stress of the profession—things that might seem daunting to others—intrigue me,” says Jacob.

So, when the time came for him to decide what to study in college, it was a no-brainer. Being born and raised in Washington and knowing the great reputation of WSU’s veterinary medicine program, WSU was the only school that Jacob even considered. And WSU proved to be the right choice.

During his junior year, Jacob was presented with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to study exotic animals in Tanzania and Kenya for a full academic semester. He knew he had to take advantage of this opportunity; however, there was one thing standing in his way—finances.

Jacob’s story would have turned out very different had he not received the financial help he needed through scholarships. In fact, he may have turned out to be a very different person. He credits his study abroad experience with revealing a greater purpose for his life. Witnessing a horrific drought that devastated livestock and spread famine throughout the region enabled him to see a need in the world and challenged him to figure out how he can help to address it.

“I discovered who I am and where I am destined to go,” says Jacob. “I plan to work in veterinary relief to serve those in developing nations who depend on their animals for survival.”

Jacob earned a degree in zoology last May and is now working toward a doctor of veterinary medicine degree at WSU. With a clearly defined goal in mind, Jacob is now well on his way to achieving his dream of making the world a better place. Scholarships, Jacob says, had a remarkable impact in his life.

“It amazes me that people who had never even met me made such a great investment in my dreams,” says Jacob.

Whether in support of a need-based student in affording tuition or in honor of a student’s high academic merit, scholarships make a difference. Consider making a secure online gift to support scholarships at WSU.